Wakeman Law Group, PC Legal Blog

What if the other parent isn’t following a court order?

On Behalf of | Jul 15, 2022 | Custody & Parenting Issues

Most of the time, divorcing parents or are able to come up with solutions that work well for their situation. They can come up with a schedule that they can adhere to most of the time and be flexible when it’s necessary. They can arrange for child support payments that are reasonable and fair.

Unfortunately, there are other times when a parent may not be following a custody order or paying support on time. They may simply not want to adhere to the plans that they don’t agree with, or they may be attempting to frustrate the other parent on purpose.

If you start to notice that your ex isn’t following through on what the court has ordered them to do, now is the time to think about going back to court to seek help.

Court-ordered remedies can resolve conflicts related to broken court orders

If your ex-partner or spouse isn’t following through on the court orders for your case, there are a few things that can happen.

First, you can return to court and ask that the court holds them accountable. They could be held in contempt of court for ignoring the orders made by the judge.

If the other parent is trying to stick to the schedule or trying to make payments but cannot, another option could be a modification to the parenting schedule or support amount.

Even if the other parent isn’t following through, you still have to

You have at least two different ways of addressing the situation in court, so if the other parent isn’t doing what they should, keep in mind that you shouldn’t be trying to handle the situation personally. You can’t make changes to the custody arrangements and shouldn’t try to make changes to the support amount without the court’s involvement. For example, if the other parent doesn’t show up, you can’t charge them more money. If they fail to pay support, you shouldn’t try to withhold custody.

These cases can be tricky, but the fact is that there are remedies in place if you return to court. That may be your next step.